20 SAT Words (Quiz Included)
Certain words appear often on the SAT. You can find various lists online that were created by looking at numerous tests over the years. Below are 20 words randomly selected from one of those lists and their definitions. Click on the word for a more detailed definition on Merriam-Webster.com. Below the list is a link to a quiz on these 20 words.
I plan to create posts and quizzes like this periodically. Please share them with students who will be taking SATs in the future.
- Adulation: high praise
- Assiduous: persistent, hard-working
- Clairvoyant: exceptionally insightful; able to foresee the future
- Demagogue: a leader, often who appeals to emotion or prejudice
- Enervating: weakening, tiring
- Frugal: cheap, thrifty
- Hedonism: the pursuit of pleasure
- Impetuous: rash, impulsive, acting without thinking
- Jubilation: joy and exultation
- Longevity: long life
- Mundane: ordinary, commonplace
- Novice: beginner
- Opulent: wealthy
- Precocious: unusually advanced or talented at an early age
- Prudent: careful, cautious
- Querulous: complaining, irritable
- Renovation: repair, making something new again
- Spurious: lacking authenticity, false
- Tenacious: determined, unrelenting
- Venerable: respected because of age
I’d love your to read your comments and suggestions. Please leave a reply below.