20 More SAT Words (Quiz Included)
Here’s my second post on common SAT words. The first post is here. Below are 20 words randomly selected from one of those lists and their definitions. Click on the word for a more detailed definition on Merriam-Webster.com. Below the list is a link to a quiz on these 20 words.
Please share this list with students who will be taking SATs in the future.
- Abbreviate: to shorten or abridge
- Asylum: sanctuary, shelter
- Censure: to criticize harshly
- Deleterious: harmful; destructive
- Empathy: identification with the feelings of others
- Florid: gaudy, ornate
- Hackneyed: cliched, worn out by overuse
- Hypothesis: theory requiring proof
- Impute: to attribute an action to a particular person or group
- Lobbyist: a person seeking to influence political events
- Nonchalant: calm, seemingly unexcited
- Ostentatious: showy, displaying wealth
- Parched: dried up, shriveled
- Perfidious: faithless, disloyal
- Prosperity: wealth or success
- Rancorous: bitter, hateful
- Reclusive: preferring to live in isolation
- Sagacity: wisdom
- Transient: temporary, short-lived
- Wary: careful, cautious
I’d love your to read your comments and suggestions. Please leave a reply below.